Movie Review -- Ratatouille

On the 4th of July holiday, my husband and I took our kids to see Ratatouille. What a perfectly good way to spend our money and our time. The movie is a must see. My husband doesn't usually like cartoons, and he was a little skeptical about going to see this one. But we ALL enjoyed it and hope that when it comes out on DVD that we'll be able to purchase it. It really is a keeper.

The graphics are good, and the storyline is cute. I won't go into alot of explaining about the story line for I'm sure most people have seen the trailers for it. But it's about a rat who has a talent for cooking, who ends up in Paris with a young man who wants to cook but has no talent whatsoever. Together, they make quite a pair, finding success, but also getting into alot of trouble along the way.

The one thing that really stood out for me was the rat's attitude toward humans. One of my complaints about alot of recent movies, especially movies made for children, is the fact they put down humans. The conservationists with their messages of the noble animals vs. the evil humans. That kind of thing that sends confusing messages to kids. I won't go on about this here, (you can read my review of Happy Feet on my MySpace blog if you like...see link below) because that's not the purpose of this post. But I really was pleased with the rat's high opinion of humans. He is warned away from the human world by his dad, who tries to tell him how things are. A good dad, for he's only looking out for the welfare of his son. But the rat sees something special in humans. They are always exploring, creating, discovering new things. And he wants to be a part of that.

That was a refreshingly new approach to the animal vs man portrayals in movies. And that's the kind of thing that kids need to see. They need to have their good qualities reinforced a whole lot more than being hit over the head with "Humans are bad" messages. I think when a child is brought up to be proud of who he is, he will become a much more well balanced adult who will also be more able to see his faults and try to work to be better. Now don't get me wrong. There is always room for pointing out what needs to be corrected. The key is balance.

All in all, I recommend this movie as good, wholesome fun for the whole family. Adults and children, alike, will very likely enjoy it.

_________

Link to Lianne's Myspace: http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendid=84035422

Go to the View all blog entries then scroll down to Happy Feet. It's older, from April 3, 2007.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Lying = Intelligence???

Why is Jason hot?

A Contest for You