My WIP

So I garnered a comment from a new person the other day. Yippee! I'm pretty new to blogging, and every new person who comments makes me do the Snoopy Dance. Hey, it even inspires me to try to do more posts. (hint, hint! Please comment if you've read my blog and liked it.) One commenter (the single comment on my post on the feelings of futility in writing) asked what I'm writing. So I thought I'd go ahead and give a little blurb here. Tentative title: The Face in the Mirror. It's historical women's fiction (which only means the main character is a woman, but men are certainly more than welcome to read the book...WHEN it's published). It is set in 1867, during the period of Reconstruction after the American Civil War. But to put a new twist on an old story, I decided to send my pioneering American characters...not to the western wilderness of the United States of America, but to the untamed wilderness of southern Brazil.

Fact: At the end of the Civil War in 1865, Dom Pedro, the emperor of Brazil, offered to sell land cheap to American Southerners wanting to escape the evils of Reconstruction. He wanted Brazil to become a world leader in cotton exportation, a commodity in much demand at the time because of the war. American technology for farming cotton was the most modern of that time, and he figured he could take advantage of that. The accounts vary, but there might have been up to 9,000 Southerners who took the emperor up on his offer. After all, here was a country free of Yankees, where slavery was still legal, and the land was cheap and fertile.

And that's the setting I've dropped my characters into. The main theme is conformity to Christ (hence the title), which for my MC (main character) only comes about because of the extreme trials she goes through in her new land.

So that's it in a nutshell. I hope to some day (maybe even soon!) post here that the story has been accepted and will soon be out in book form. :) When that day comes, you can be sure I'll be doing the Snoopy Dance EVERYWHERE. Next month I'm going to the ACFW conference in Dallas where I'm hoping to pitch the idea for this story to some lucky editor from some lucky publisher. hahaha. Yeah, right. Like THEY'll be the lucky ones. Guess I got that a little backward.

Comments

Anonymous said…
That sounds very interesting. Let us know when the book is available in Amazon.com. Cheers!
Anonymous said…
Sounds very interesting. I love History and the Civil War era (during and immediately after) is one of my favorites to read about.
Shauna said…
Oooh, I like the twist, set in Brazil! It sounds like an intersting historical!! Can't wait to see it published! ;-)
hi lianne, good luck to you on this endeavour, i hope to hear some positive thoughts within the next few months, or weeks and perhaps days, you gave a glimpse of what the story is all about and it made me realize how much of a research one writer does and need to come up with an interesting story, ^^cool!!
Anonymous said…
This sounds like a fascinating premise for a book, and I wish you much luck with it. I hope we see you doing the Snoopy Dance before too long! :)
Booklogged said…
WHEN (not IF) your book gets published I hope you video your Snoopy Dance. We'll all be so excited for you.

I know what you mean about comments. They definitely brighten a day.

Popular posts from this blog

Forgiveness and Beheadings

Why is Jason hot?

Lying = Intelligence???